Saturday, February 25, 2012

Copy a row with one change?

Hello. I have a table that has 3 fields as a primary key - JobID (int),
PONumber (char 16) and PORevision (tinyint). I need to make a new row with
the same data except the PORevision field should be increased by 1. I have
tried a few things but nothing seems to work. I could do it in my vb.net
code but I am sure it would be better in the sql database.
Thanks,
GerryINSERT INTO YourTable (jobid, ponumber, porevision, other_col, ...)
SELECT jobid, ponumber, porevision+1, other_col, ...
FROM YourTable
WHERE ...
--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||Or you could make the PORevision field an identity and
the system would do it for you.
>--Original Message--
>Hello. I have a table that has 3 fields as a primary
key - JobID (int),
>PONumber (char 16) and PORevision (tinyint). I need to
make a new row with
>the same data except the PORevision field should be
increased by 1. I have
>tried a few things but nothing seems to work. I could
do it in my vb.net
>code but I am sure it would be better in the sql
database.
>Thanks,
>Gerry
>
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment