Sunday, March 25, 2012

Copy DB structure into a new DB

Hello,
I would like to copy the structure of a DB (tables,relations, indexes,
default values, ecc...) into a new DB on the same server.
I don't want to copy the data in the tables. Is this possible? How?
Thank you very much
Bye1. Right click on your source database in Enterprise Manager-->All
Tasks-->Generate SQL Scripts.
2. You can then choose what objects you need to be scripted (lots of options).
3. Create your destination db.
4. Run the generated script.
--
Sasan Saidi, MSc in CS
Senior DBA
Brascan Business Services
"I saw it work in a cartoon once so I am pretty sure I can do it."
"news.microsoft.com" wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to copy the structure of a DB (tables,relations, indexes,
> default values, ecc...) into a new DB on the same server.
> I don't want to copy the data in the tables. Is this possible? How?
> Thank you very much
> Bye
>
>|||Use DTS...
Choose the "Copy objects and data between SQL Server databases"
Here is the key... on the next screen, uncheck "Copy Data"
"news.microsoft.com" <diego.lotti@.NOSPAMiol.it> wrote in message
news:uaTGhRpwEHA.2908@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> I would like to copy the structure of a DB (tables,relations, indexes,
> default values, ecc...) into a new DB on the same server.
> I don't want to copy the data in the tables. Is this possible? How?
> Thank you very much
> Bye
>|||If you use the "Generate SQL Script" function, it won't generate the "DROP"
statements for users and logins though. I wonder if they'll get that fixed
anytime soon?
"Armando Prato" wrote:
> Use DTS...
> Choose the "Copy objects and data between SQL Server databases"
> Here is the key... on the next screen, uncheck "Copy Data"
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <diego.lotti@.NOSPAMiol.it> wrote in message
> news:uaTGhRpwEHA.2908@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to copy the structure of a DB (tables,relations, indexes,
> > default values, ecc...) into a new DB on the same server.
> >
> > I don't want to copy the data in the tables. Is this possible? How?
> >
> > Thank you very much
> >
> > Bye
> >
> >
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment