Sunday, March 25, 2012

Copy DB,Packages etc to another computer ..

If I need to move my SQL server to another bigger
computer.
How can I copy the all the databases and all my
Transformation packages over properly ? I don't want to
recreate everything again.
Can I use the detach and copy the database command and
recopy to the new server ?
How about the Transformation packages ?
What else do I need to copy over ?
Any advice is greatly welcomeHi,
I will suggest you to do these steps;
1. Install SQL server in the new server with same folder structure as old
server
2. Apply the Service packs identical to old server
3. Stop SQL server and SQL Agent in old server and new server
4. Copy ALL MDF and LDF files from old server to new server ( In the same
folder) - Include system databases as well
5. Start the SQLserver in New server
6. If you need to change the SQl server name in new server then
sp_dropserver <oldservername>
go
sp_addserver <newserver>,local
7. Restart SQL server and SQl agent services
This will ensure that all the database in old system is up in new server,
DTS Packages, Jobs, Alerts , Logins, Users into the new server, etc...
(Same as old server).
Note:
But few of DBAs wont agree the above concept, Microsoft has got a good
article on moving the database, Have a look into that.
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;314546
Thanks
Hari
MCDBA
"jen" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:11b7801c410b4$64819c70$a301280a@.phx
.gbl...
> If I need to move my SQL server to another bigger
> computer.
> How can I copy the all the databases and all my
> Transformation packages over properly ? I don't want to
> recreate everything again.
>
> Can I use the detach and copy the database command and
> recopy to the new server ?
> How about the Transformation packages ?
> What else do I need to copy over ?
> Any advice is greatly welcome|||Hi Jen
Check out http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...en-us;Q314546#2
regarding different ways to move databases. The easiest methods (IMO) are
using sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db or backup/restore.
John

No comments:

Post a Comment